Re: bad performance on Solaris 10 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: bad performance on Solaris 10
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 4/12/06, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> People,
>
> > Lately I find people are not so receptive to VxFS, and Sun is promoting
> > ZFS, and we don't have a reasonable near term option for Raw IO in
> > Postgres, so we need to work to find a reasonable path for Solaris users
> > IMO. The long delays in ZFS production haven't helped us there, as the
> > problems with UFS are severe.

I just recently worked with sun solaris 10 and found it to be
reasonably performant without much tuning.  This was on a dual sparc
sunblade workstation which i felt was very well engineered.  I was
able (with zero solaris experience) to get postgresql up and crunching
away at some really data intensive tasks while running an application
compiled their very excellent fortran compiler.

In the enterprise world I am finding that the only linux distrubutions
supported are redhat and suse, meaning if you have a problem with your
san running against your gentoo box you have a serious problem.
Solaris OTOH, is generally very well supported (especially on sun
hardware) and is free.  So I give sun great credit for providing a
free if not necessarily completely open platform for developing open
source applications in an enterprise environment.

Merlin