Re: Core 2 or Opteron - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Claus Guttesen
Subject Re: Core 2 or Opteron
Date
List pgsql-performance
>   We're planning new server or two for PostgreSQL and I'm wondering Intel
> Core 2 (Woodcrest for servers?) or Opteron is faster for PostgreSQL now?
>
>   When I look through hardware sites Core 2 wins. But I believe those tests
> mostly are being done in 32 bits. Does the picture change in 64 bits?

We just migrated from a 4-way opteron @ 2 GHz with 8 GB ram to a DL380
G5 with a 4-way woodcrest @ 3 GHz and 16 GB ram. It was like night and
day, system load dropped, not just quite a bit, but almost by a factor
of 100 in worst case scenarios.

Going from a 64 MB diskcontroller to a 256 MB ditto probably helped
some and so did a speedup from 2 -> 3 GHz, but overall it seems the
new woodcrest cpu's feel at home doing db-stuff.

This is on FreeBSD 6.2 RC1 and postgresql 7.4.14.

>   And I also remember that in PostgreSQL Opteron earlier had huge advantage
> over older Xeons. But did Intel manage to change picture now?

That was pre-woodcrest, aka. nocona and before. Horrible and the
reason I went for opteron to begin with. But AMD probably wont sit
idle.

The link posted in another reply illustrates the current situation quite well.

regards
Claus