Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fujii Masao
Subject Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2022/02/07 12:02, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> - If any later checkpoint/restartpoint has been established, just skip
>    remaining task then return false. (!chkpt_was_latest)
>    (I'm not sure this can happen, though.)
>
> - we update control file only when archive recovery is still ongoing.

This comment seems to conflict with what your PoC patch does. Because with the patch, ControlFile->checkPoint and
ControlFile->checkPointCopyseem to be updated even when ControlFile->state != DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY.

I agree with what your PoC patch does for now. When we're not in archive recovery state, checkpoint and REDO locations
inpg_control should be updated but min recovery point should be reset to invalid one (which instruments that subsequent
crashrecovery should replay all available WAL files).

> - Otherwise reset minRecoveryPoint then continue.
>
> Do you have any thoughts or opinions?

Regarding chkpt_was_latest, whether the state is DB_IN_ARCHIVE_RECOVERY or not, if checkpoint and redo locations in
pg_controlare updated, IMO we don't need to skip the "remaining tasks". Since those locations are updated and
subsequentcrash recovery will start from that redo location, for example, ISTM that we can safely delete old WAL files
priorto the redo location as the "remaining tasks". Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center