Re: Installation of postgresql database as root - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andrej Ricnik-Bay
Subject Re: Installation of postgresql database as root
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 6/6/07, Ali, Luqman <luqman.ali@sanmina-sci.com> wrote:

> >I guess the question is whether that user has write access
> >to the target file-system(s) ...
>
> Absolutely, the user (i.e. me) will have write access to the target
> file-systems. Another question is does postgres user get automatically
> created with the installation of progress or will the sysadmin have to
> create that?
From INSTALL:
                                Short Version

./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres

So, I guess that means it doesn't get created.  Why are you
averse to installing as root, btw?  I think it makes perfect sense
to have the postgres user only own the data directory.  That way,
if you configure the config files to live in /etc and they aren't owned
by postgres (the user account) a potential attacker can't make changes
to permissible connections, for instance.

--  Cheers,
    Andrej

Please don't top post, and don't use HTML e-Mail :}  Make your quotes concise.