Re: Installation of postgresql database as root - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Ali, Luqman
Subject Re: Installation of postgresql database as root
Date
List pgsql-novice

>> >I guess the question is whether that user has write access
>> >to the target file-system(s) ...
>>
>> Absolutely, the user (i.e. me) will have write access to the target
>> file-systems. Another question is does postgres user get
automatically
>> created with the installation of progress or will the sysadmin have
>> create that?
 .
 .
<snip>
 .
 .
>So, I guess that means it doesn't get created.  Why are you
>averse to installing as root, btw?  I think it makes perfect sense
>to have the postgres user only own the data directory.  That way,
>if you configure the config files to live in /etc and they aren't owned
>by postgres (the user account) a potential attacker can't make changes
>to permissible connections, for instance.

I have no aversion to installing it as root but getting root access from
the sys admin would be a PITA. Company policy dictates that root access
is given to as few people as possible and only if it is necessary.
Hence, I needed to know if it is absolutely necessary to install as
root. If there are enough justifications for that, I could revert back
to my manager and get root access. If not, I can live with not having
root access and doing things from the user account. I'm not too worried
about any potential attackers having the user account as there would be
enough safeguards for that.

Thank you,
Best regards,

Luqman

CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail message and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may
containlegally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
message,you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message, and any
attachmentsthereto, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please immediately
notifythe sender and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any prints thereof.
ABSENT AN EXPRESS STATEMENT TO THE CONTRARY HEREINABOVE, THIS E-MAIL IS NOT INTENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR A WRITING.
Notwithstandingthe Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or the applicability of any other law of similar substance and
effect,absent an express statement to the contrary hereinabove, this e-mail message its contents, and any attachments
heretoare not intended to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and are not otherwise intended to
bindthe sender, Sanmina-SCI Corporation (or any of its subsidiaries), or any other person or entity.