Re: improving user.c error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: improving user.c error messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10.03.23 01:03, Nathan Bossart wrote:
>>> By the way, I'm not sure what the separation between 0001 and 0002 is
>>> supposed to be.
>> I'll combine them.  I first started with user.c only, but we kept finding
>> new messages to improve.
> I combined the patches in v7.

I have committed two pieces that were not message changes separately.

I think the following change in DropRole() is incorrect:

         if (!is_admin_of_role(GetUserId(), roleid))
             ereport(ERROR,
                     (errcode(ERRCODE_INSUFFICIENT_PRIVILEGE),
-                    errmsg("must have admin option on role \"%s\"",
-                           role)));
+                    errmsg("permission denied to drop role"),
+                    errdetail("Only roles with the %s attribute and the
%s option on role \"%s\" may drop this role.",
+                              "CREATEROLE", "ADMIN",
NameStr(roleform->rolname))));

The message does not reflect what check is actually performed.  (Perhaps
this was confused with a similar but not exactly the same check in
RenameRole().)

That was the only "factual" error that I found.

In file_fdw_validator(), the option names "filename" and "program" could
be parameterized.

In DropOwnedObjects() and ReassignOwnedObjects(), I suggest the
following changes, for clarity:

- errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may drop its
objects.",
+ errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may drop objects
owned by it.",

- errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may reassign its
objects.",
+ errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may reassign
objects owned by it.",

The rest looks okay to me.