Re: improving user.c error messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: improving user.c error messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 16, 2023 at 04:24:07PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I have committed two pieces that were not message changes separately.

Thanks!

> I think the following change in DropRole() is incorrect:
>
>         if (!is_admin_of_role(GetUserId(), roleid))
>             ereport(ERROR,
>                     (errcode(ERRCODE_INSUFFICIENT_PRIVILEGE),
> -                    errmsg("must have admin option on role \"%s\"",
> -                           role)));
> +                    errmsg("permission denied to drop role"),
> +                    errdetail("Only roles with the %s attribute and the %s
> option on role \"%s\" may drop this role.",
> +                              "CREATEROLE", "ADMIN",
> NameStr(roleform->rolname))));
>
> The message does not reflect what check is actually performed.  (Perhaps
> this was confused with a similar but not exactly the same check in
> RenameRole().)

Hm.  Is your point that we should only mention the admin option here?  I
mentioned both createrole and admin option in this message (and the
createrole check above this point) in an attempt to avoid giving partial
information.

> In file_fdw_validator(), the option names "filename" and "program" could be
> parameterized.
>

> In DropOwnedObjects() and ReassignOwnedObjects(), I suggest the following
> changes, for clarity:
>
> - errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may drop its
> objects.",
> + errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may drop objects
> owned by it.",
>
> - errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may reassign its
> objects.",
> + errdetail("Only roles with privileges of role \"%s\" may reassign objects
> owned by it.",

Will do.

--
Nathan Bossart