Re: Cannot Start Postgres After System Boot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Cannot Start Postgres After System Boot
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Tom Lane wrote:

> Actually, I was saying that the script should *not* concern itself with
> the pidfile at all.

Tom,

   I understood what you wrote.

> Hmm, maybe the postmaster thinks it should be putting the socket file
> someplace other than /tmp. Have you got a nondefault setting of
> unix_socket_directory in postgresq.conf?

   No. It's been commented out forever, so it should be the default.

> Also, if you're using the distro's build of postgresql not your own, it's
> possible that the compiled-in default for unix_socket_directory isn't /tmp
> --- though the copy of libpq you're using seems to think it is /tmp.

   The currently installed 8.3.3 has been running for some time now. I've not
made any changes since last Friday (the last day I used one of the
databases), and the system board failed Sunday afternoon, just after an OS
upgrade.

> Maybe your libpq came from someplace different than the postmaster
> executable?

   I've no idea how that could have happened.

   Since I cannot start the postmaster I cannot run pg_dumpall. What's the
pragmatic way for me to once again get postgres running (and, presumably,
able to cleanly stop and restart when necessary)?

Many thanks,

Rich