Re: Cannot Start Postgres After System Boot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Cannot Start Postgres After System Boot
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> WHOA, never delete those files unless you're sure you've killed off
> postgres first.  Then and only then you can delete them and safely
> restart.  If you ever manage to bring up two postmasters on the same store
> you've just destroyed your database.

Scott,

   Postgres has not been running. That's the problem I've been trying to
solve. The only reason I've manually killed the socket and its lock is when
the system shut down uncleanly and postgres would not start while they were
present.

Thanks,

Rich