Re: Cannot Start Postgres After System Boot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Cannot Start Postgres After System Boot
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/21/2010 11:21 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>
>> WHOA, never delete those files unless you're sure you've killed off
>> postgres first. Then and only then you can delete them and safely
>> restart. If you ever manage to bring up two postmasters on the same store
>> you've just destroyed your database.
>
> Scott,
>
> Postgres has not been running. That's the problem I've been trying to
> solve. The only reason I've manually killed the socket and its lock is when
> the system shut down uncleanly and postgres would not start while they were
> present.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

But it is running:

rshepard@salmo ~]$ psql -h localhost -l
          List of databases
    Name    |   Owner    | Encoding -----------+------------+----------
  aesi      | sql-ledger | LATIN1
  cms       | rshepard   | UTF8
  postgres  | postgres   | UTF8
  refdb     | postgres   | UTF8
  scirefs   | rshepard   | LATIN1
  template0 | postgres   | UTF8
  template1 | postgres   | UTF8

The missing piece of information seems to be the system board failure.
My guess is that caused corruption.  See if you can connect by doing:

psql -h localhost -d aesi

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com