Re: Huge sample dataset for testing. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Huge sample dataset for testing.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Tim Uckun wrote:

> Does anybody know if there is a sample database or text files I can
> import to do some performance testing? I would like to have tables with
> tens of millions of records if possible.

There is a utility that ships with PostgreSQL named pgbench that includes
a simple schema (4 tables) and a data generator.  The generator
initialization step takes a database scale factor and creates 100,000
records per unit of scale.  So a scale of, say, 500 would give you 50M
records.  These tables are pretty simple, just having some ID number keys
and simulated bank accounts balances.

If you want a more complicated schema, you might try one of those from the
various DBT projects.  See
http://www.slideshare.net/markwkm/postgresql-portland-performance-practice-project-database-test-2-howto
for an intro to DBT2, which gives you 9 tables you can populate in various
ways to play with.