Re: GiST index performance

From: Matthew Wakeling
Subject: Re: GiST index performance
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
 Re: GiST index performance  ("Kevin Grittner", )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
    Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
   Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
    Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
     Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
 Re: GiST index performance  (dforum, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Craig Ringer, )
 Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
   Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
    Re: GiST index performance  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: GiST index performance  (Oleg Bartunov, )
 Re: GiST index performance  (Matthew Wakeling, )
  Re: GiST index performance  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: GiST index performance  (Robert Haas, )

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
> Hmm, and what is shared_buffers set to?  How big are the tables and
> other indexes used in the query?  We still have to explain why the
> inner nestloop got slower, and it's hard to see that unless something
> stopped fitting in cache.

I just noticed that someone has started running a big java program (6GB
RAM so far) on that machine. Maybe it was running during the bad run. I'll
see if I can re-run those two queries later on when the machine is idle.

shared_buffers = 500MB

Location table: 336 MB
Gene table:     124 MB
Primer table:   103 MB

location__key_all index: 334 MB

Matthew

--
 For those of you who are into writing programs that are as obscure and
 complicated as possible, there are opportunities for... real fun here