Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)  (Andy Astor <andy.astor@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Ciao Andy,

Non-English Groups
------------------
I've carefully read all the objections, including those of the non-English
PG organizations. But I don't believe anyone against this proposal mentioned
that Alvaro strongly supported the name change from his (Spanish)
perspective.

If you carefully read my post, I was not objecting the change of the name itself, for which I leave myself to a democratic decision (I even suggested the core team to take this decision).

I personally agree that "Postgres" sounds heaps better than "PostgreSQL" in Italian - we discussed this during PGDay too. And that's the name that people normally use to refer to it in Italy. I am sure that's the same issue for the latin speaking countries (including Spanish, French and Portuguese), but that does not mean that a name change is required.

As you can see, from a purely language based point of view, you get no objections from me: "Postgres" is better than "PostgreSQL". But you can't ignore the communities problems that - at least in the short term - we will face. I believe that's a bit disrispectful and it cannot be left to the case.

Also, I am not aware of any Spanish community at the moment - actually nobody from Spain ever took part to the organisation of PGDay and the European Group or even marginally got involved.

I am objecting the way this change will eventually occur. It must be planned and it must be promoted, because it takes time to re-organise everything, and I believe:

1) this is morally *due* to the national communities (yes, I think it is the least that can be done)
2) this looks way more *professional* at the eyes of the companies

Thank you.

Ciao,
Gabriele

P.S.: Chris, do you really want to buy 10 shirts? :)