Re: Understanding ps -ef "command" column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Jaquay
Subject Re: Understanding ps -ef "command" column
Date
List pgsql-general
Yeah, kinda guessed that.

So there's no way (that you know of) to, say, cast my JDBC connection object to something Postgresql'y and peer into its internals?

Thanks,
Dave

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:
On 2/22/08, David Jaquay <djaquay@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I do a ps -ef, in the command column, I see:
>
> postgres: postgres dbname 10.170.1.60(57413) idle
>
> I get all of this, except the "57413".  What does this mean, and more
> importantly, how can I tie that number back to a connection that I've
> acquired via JDBC?

At a guess, it's the ephemeral port number used by the client
connection.  It might be hard to track back in Java because I don't
think the JDBC driver gives you access to the underlying Socket object
(which you could query to find out its local port).

-Doug