Re: pg9.6: no backup history file (*.backup) created on hot standby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From magodo
Subject Re: pg9.6: no backup history file (*.backup) created on hot standby
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2018-10-09 at 12:53 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 11:45:50AM +0800, magodo wrote:
> > Yet, I am still not so clear how does the bloat of pg_wal happen?
> > Do
> > you mean pg_wal will be filled up by many .backup(s)?
>
> If your archive_command is for example a simple cp (which it should
> not
> be by the way), and if you try to archive twice the same file, then
> the
> archive command would continuously fail and prevent existing WAL
> segments to be archived.  Segments are continuously created, and
> pg_wal
> grows in size.
> --
> Michael

Yes, but does this differ whether I'm archiving a general WAL or
archiving the backup history? I mean if user doesn't handle duplicate
archive, then pg_wal will still be filled up when archiving WAL.

Magodo