Re: pg9.6: no backup history file (*.backup) created on hot standby - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg9.6: no backup history file (*.backup) created on hot standby
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 03:26:35PM +0800, magodo wrote:
> Yes, but does this differ whether I'm archiving a general WAL or
> archiving the backup history? I mean if user doesn't handle duplicate
> archive, then pg_wal will still be filled up when archiving WAL.

A WAL segment has a unique name, and would be finished to be used once.
The problem with backup history files on standbys is that the *same*
file can could finish by being generated *multiple* times with base
backups taken in parallel.  That's a completely different story, and the
window to those backup history files having the same name gets larger
the more the window between two checkpoints is.  That's a problem I
studied a couple of months back.
--
Michael

Attachment