Re: make world and install-world without docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: make world and install-world without docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01.07.21 16:47, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 6/2/21 4:21 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> writes:
>>> I'm inclined to agree with Alvaro that the messages are at best an
>>> oddity. Standard Unix practice is to be silent on success.
>> We've been steadily moving towards less chatter during builds.
>> I'd be good with dropping these messages in HEAD, but doing so
>> in the back branches might be inadvisable.

> OK, I think on reflection new targets will be cleaner. What I suggest is
> the attached, applied to all branches, followed by removal of the four
> noise messages in just HEAD.

This naming approach is a bit problematic.  For example, we have
"install-bin" in src/backend/, which is specifically for only installing
binaries, not data files etc. (hence the name).  Your proposal would
confuse this scheme.

I think we should also take a step back here and consider: We had "all",
which wasn't "all" enough, then we had "world", now we have
"world-minus-a-bit", but it's still more than "all".  It's like we are
trying to prove the continuum hypothesis here.

I think we had consensus on the make variable approach, so I'm confused
why a different solution was committed and backpatched without discussion.