Re: What is the meaning of pg_restore output? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: What is the meaning of pg_restore output?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/17/2018 07:30 AM, Alexandru Lazarev wrote:
> Hi All, Thanks for your replies.
> What about "item" key-word - is it appearing only when -j > 1?
>
> Other phrases "pg_restore: processing /*item */3615 DEFAULT id
> pg_restore: creating DEFAULT "public.id <http://public.id>"
> are observed if pg_restore is executed with flag -j N (where N > 1)
> and aren't present when -j 1 (or without -j)
>

> 2. Are they (output phrases) documented somewhere?

Grepping source in src/bin/pg_dump/:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/bin/pg_dump/pg_backup_archiver.c;h=8892b177905ea81b58ddbc728fd46d47e2d017c6;hb=65c6b53991e1c56f6a0700ae26928962ddf2b9fe

if (do_now)
        {
              /* OK, restore the item and update its dependencies */
              ahlog(AH, 1, "processing item %d %s %s\n",
                    next_work_item->dumpId,
                    next_work_item->desc, next_work_item->tag);

Which is in section with this comment:

/*
  * Main engine for parallel restore.
  *
  * Parallel restore is done in three phases.  In this first phase,
  * we'll process all SECTION_PRE_DATA TOC entries that are allowed to be
  * processed in the RESTORE_PASS_MAIN pass.  (In practice, that's all
  * PRE_DATA items other than ACLs.)  Entries we can't process now are
  * added to the pending_list for later phases to deal with.
  */

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com