Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thanks for testing.

On 2017/04/25 19:03, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi wrote:
> Thanks for looking into it. I have applied fixes and checked for triggers.
> I could see difference in behaviour of statement triggers for INSERT and
> UPDATE, for insert only root partition triggers are getting fired but for
> update root as well as child partition table triggers both getting fired.
> is this expected??

Yes, because I didn't implement anything for the insert case yet.  I posed
a question whether to fire partitions' per-statement triggers when
inserting data through the root table.

Robert replied [1] that it would be desirable to not fire partitions'
per-statement triggers if the root table is mentioned in the query; only
fire their per-row triggers if any.  It already works that way for
inserts, and applying only 0001 will get you the same for update/delete.
Patch 0002 is to enable firing partition's per-statement triggers even if
the root table is mentioned in the query, but it implemented the same only
for the update/delete cases.  If we decide that that's the right thing to
do, then I will implement the same behavior for the insert case too.

Thanks,
Amit

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmoatBYy8Hyi3cYR1rFrCkD2NM4ZLZcck4QDGvH%3DHddfDwA%40mail.gmail.com