Re: [HACKERS] Documentation improvements for partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Documentation improvements for partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2017/03/10 3:26, Robert Haas wrote:
> I think you might have the titles for 0002 and 0003 backwards.

Oops, you're right.

> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 2:51 AM, Amit Langote wrote:
>> 0002: some cosmetic fixes to create_table.sgml
>
> I think this sentence may be unclear to some readers:
>
> + One might however want to set it for only some partitions,
> +      which is possible by doing <literal>SET NOT NULL</literal> on individual
> +      partitions.
>
> I think you could replace this with something like: Even if there is
> no <literal>NOT NULL</> constraint on the parent, such a constraint
> can still be added to individual partitions, if desired; that is, the
> children can disallow nulls even if the parent allows them, but not
> the other way around.

Reads much better, done that way.  Thanks.

>> 0003: add clarification about NOT NULL constraint on partition columns in
>>       alter_table.sgml
>
> This is about list-ifying a note, but I think we should try to
> de-note-ify it.  It's a giant block of text that is not obviously more
> noteworthy than the surrounding text; I think <note> should be saved
> for things that particularly need to be called out.

OK.  The patch is now just about de-note-ifying the block of text.  Since
I don't see any other lists in the Parameters portion of the page, I also
take back my list-ifying proposal.

Attached updated patches.

Thanks,
Amit