psql and Postgres 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject psql and Postgres 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
In answering a question on SO I discovered this:

\l PRODUCTION
                                 List of databases
     Name    |  Owner   | Encoding |   Collate   |    Ctype    | Access
privileges
------------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-------------------
  production | postgres | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |

\c PRODUCTION
FATAL:  database "PRODUCTION" does not exist
Previous connection kept

which I traced back to(from Postgres version 14):

src/bin/psql/command.c

/*
  * Read and interpret an argument to the \connect slash command.

/*
   * Ideally we should treat the arguments as SQL identifiers.  But for
   * backwards compatibility with 7.2 and older pg_dump files, we have to
   * take unquoted arguments verbatim (don't downcase them). For now,
   * double-quoted arguments may be stripped of double quotes (as if SQL
   * identifiers).  By 7.4 or so, pg_dump files can be expected to
   * double-quote all mixed-case \connect arguments, and then we can get rid
   * of OT_SQLIDHACK.
*/

Since Postgres 14 pg_dump only goes back to 8.0 and the \d commands in
psql go back to 7.4, is this something that needs to hang on?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com