Re: psql and Postgres 7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql and Postgres 7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
> src/bin/psql/command.c
> /*
>    * Ideally we should treat the arguments as SQL identifiers.  But for
>    * backwards compatibility with 7.2 and older pg_dump files, we have to
>    * take unquoted arguments verbatim (don't downcase them). For now,
>    * double-quoted arguments may be stripped of double quotes (as if SQL
>    * identifiers).  By 7.4 or so, pg_dump files can be expected to
>    * double-quote all mixed-case \connect arguments, and then we can get rid
>    * of OT_SQLIDHACK.
> */

> Since Postgres 14 pg_dump only goes back to 8.0 and the \d commands in
> psql go back to 7.4, is this something that needs to hang on?

Yeah, I was wondering about that the other day.  I agree that we
probably don't need to worry anymore about reading 7.2 pg_dump
output.  However, people may be used to/depending on the current
behavior in other ways.  It's hard to be sure, but it is worth
noting that it's been a long time since \connect arguments were
only identifiers.  We'd have to consider the impact on the
connstring case, too.

            regards, tom lane