validation of postgresql functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dinosaur8000@yahoo.com (giant food)
Subject validation of postgresql functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi, I'm in the process of converting an Oracle database into
postgresql. One thing I've noticed is that postgresql functions keep
the entire function body in a string, e.g.:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION f_do_something(varchar, numeric, varchar)
  RETURNS varchar AS
'
'
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

The problem I'm having with this is that I can never find any errors
in my functions until runtime, unlike with Oracle where the "create
function" script will fail if, for example, I misspelled a table name.

Is there any way to force postgresql to compile functions, without
running them first?

--Frank