Re: berkley sockets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From J S B
Subject Re: berkley sockets
Date
Re: berkley sockets  (Tony Caduto <tony_caduto@amsoftwaredesign.com>)
List pgsql-general
I don't want to connect to the postgres database.

The scenario is something like this.

Postgres database has to initiate some deamon process running is another server.
The only way i could think of doing this was openeing a socket connection between postgres database and
the deamon process through a shared object dynamicall loaded in postgres.

Berkley sockets is the socket API in unix that uses
<sys/socket.h>

Don't know if there's a better way to do it.

~Jas

On 9/13/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 07:52:08PM -0400, J S B wrote:
> Hi,
> Just wondering if anyone has used Berkley sockets ever.
> I'm aiming at establishing a socket connection between my Postgres database
> server (using the shared objects that i dynamically load)
> and a Unix server.
> What would be the best thing to use for such a thing in Postgres scenario?

You mean you want to connect to a postgres database? For C you'd use
libpq, but it really depends on what language you're using. Or do you
want the server to connect somewhere, or what?

What exactly would you classify under "berkley sockets" anyway?

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/