Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Drouvot, Bertrand
Subject Re: Minimal logical decoding on standbys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 12/20/22 7:31 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2022 at 1:19 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> I don't understand what the "may*" or "*Possible" really are
>> about. snapshotConflictHorizon is a conflict with a certain xid - there
>> commonly won't be anything to conflict with. If there's a conflict in
>> the logical-decoding-on-standby case, we won't be able to apply it only
>> sometimes or such.
>
> The way I was imagining it is that snapshotConflictHorizon tells us
> whether there is a conflict with this record and then, if there is,
> this new Boolean tells us whether it's relevant to logical decoding as
> well.

the "may*" or "*Possible" was, most probably, because I preferred to have the uncertainty of the conflict mentioned in
thename.

But, somehow, I was forgetting about the relationship with snapshotConflictHorizon.
So, agree with both of you that mentioning about the uncertainty of the conflict is useless.

>> How about "affectsLogicalDecoding", "conflictsWithSlots" or
>> "isCatalogRel" or such?
>
> isCatalogRel seems fine to me.

For me too, please find attached v34 using it.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team