Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date
Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2022-11-21 at 07:36 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 05:07, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 2022-11-21 at 10:13 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > > I'll wait 24 hours before committing, to
> > > provide a last chance for anyone who wants to complain about dropping
> > > promote_trigger_file.
> >
> > Remove "promote_trigger_file"?  Now I have never seen anybody use that
> > parameter, but I don't think that it is a good idea to deviate from our
> > usual standard of deprecating a feature for about five years before
> > actually removing it.
>
> We aren't removing the ability to promote, just enforcing a change to
> a better mechanism, hence I don't see a reason for a long(er)
> deprecation period than we have already had.

We have had a deprecation period?  I looked at the documentation, but found
no mention of a deprecation.  How hard can it be to leave the GUC and only
poll for the existence of the file if it is set?

I personally don't need the GUC, and I know nobody who does, but I think
we should not be cavalier about introducing unnecessary compatibility breaks.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe