Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Reducing power consumption on idle servers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 Nov 2022 at 08:40, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> On Mon, 2022-11-21 at 07:36 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > > Remove "promote_trigger_file"?  Now I have never seen anybody use that
> > > parameter, but I don't think that it is a good idea to deviate from our
> > > usual standard of deprecating a feature for about five years before
> > > actually removing it.
> >
> > We aren't removing the ability to promote, just enforcing a change to
> > a better mechanism, hence I don't see a reason for a long(er)
> > deprecation period than we have already had.
>
> We have had a deprecation period?  I looked at the documentation, but found
> no mention of a deprecation.  How hard can it be to leave the GUC and only
> poll for the existence of the file if it is set?
>
> I personally don't need the GUC, and I know nobody who does,

Nobody else does either.

> I disagree.  With the same argument, you could rip out "serial", since we
> have supported identity columns since v11.

...and this is not a user facing change, only HA systems interface with this.

> but I think
> we should not be cavalier about introducing unnecessary compatibility breaks.

I agree we should not be cavalier, nor has anyone been so. The first
version of the patch was cautious on this very point, but since many
people think we should remove it, it is not a user facing feature and
nobody on this thread knows anybody or anything that uses it, I have
changed my mind and now think we should remove it.

We have two versions to choose from now
* v6 deprecates this option
* v10 removes this option
so it is no effort at all to choose either option.

The main issue is about reducing power usage, so please let's move to
commit something soon, one way or another.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/