Re: Partitioning feature ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nikhil Sontakke
Subject Re: Partitioning feature ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Kedar,

The syntax used conforms to most of the suggestions mentioned in http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00413.php, barring the following:
-- Specification of partition names is optional. System will be able to generate partition names in such cases.
-- Sub partitioning

I was wondering if there is a need to mention the type of partition while dropping it.

E.g
ALTER table x DROP RANGE PARTITION x_part;

The type of partition (RANGE, HASH) could be dropped according to me.

We are maintaining a system catalog(pg_partition) for partition meta-data. System will look-up this table to find appropriate partition to operate on.
System internally uses low-level 'C' triggers to row-movement.

Can you elaborate more on how do you handle updates with these triggers?

Regards,
Nikhils
--
http://www.enterprisedb.com