Re: PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nicklas Avén
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/7/19 9:25 AM, Rashmi V Bharadwaj wrote:
Hi,

That query will only give the PostgreSQL database server's IP address right? That is true while we do a remote access to the non-cloud database from another machine also.
I want to know if there is anything specific that can be used to determine a cloud environment.

-Rashmi

-----"Nicklas Avén" <nicklas.aven@jordogskog.no> wrote: -----
To: Rashmi V Bharadwaj <rvbharad@in.ibm.com>
From: "Nicklas Avén" <nicklas.aven@jordogskog.no>
Date: 07/05/2019 12:46PM
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Amazon RDS

Hi

You can resolv the ip-address

select inet_server_addr();

/Nicklas

On 5/7/19 8:27 AM, Rashmi V Bharadwaj wrote:
Hi,

Is there a SQL query or a database parameter setting that I can use from an external application to determine if the PostgreSQL database is on cloud (like on Amazon RDS or IBM cloud) or on a non-cloud on-prem environment?

Thanks,
Rashmi

Sorry I didn't reply to list last time, and I top posted. I will be banned :-)

Well, that is true that you will get an ip-address in both cases, but in one case the ip-address will point to a cloud server and in the other case to some other server.

What you define as a cloud server is up to you.

I don't fully understand what you are want to get. I mean the postgresql installation doesn't have any definition about what is a cloud server and what is not.

Some vendors probably have some special settings that can be detected, but you can install postresql on any server, hosted by you, a company, a company named Amazon or whatever.

From the ip-address you might be able to find out if it seems to be an rds server.

But I see that it seems to only give the private address in Amazon rds. So then it might be difficult.

So, back to your original question.

I don't think there are anything specific for a cloud installation since a cloud server is just a server like any other server.

If there is something special it is vendor specific.

/Nicklas