Re: Why does this query write to the disk? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Carey
Subject Re: Why does this query write to the disk?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Under what conditions does EXPLAIN ANALYZE report spilling work_mem to disk?  When does it not report work_mem or other overflow to disk?
I know that a planned disk-sort shows up.  I have also seen it report a hash-agg on disk, but this was a while ago and rather difficult to reproduce and I'm somewhat confident I have seen it spill to temp disk without reporting it in EXPLAIN ANALYZE, but I could be wrong.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Nikolas Everett" <nik9000@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused as to why this query writes to the disk:

> It's probably writing hint bits to improve performance of subsequent
> access to the table.  The issue is discussed here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hint_Bits

Hint-bit updates wouldn't be WAL-logged.  If the table has been around a
long time, it might be freezing old tuples, which *would* be WAL-logged
(since 8.2 or so) --- but that would be a one-time, non-repeatable
behavior.  How sure are you that there was WAL output?

What I was thinking was more likely was that the hash table for the hash
join was spilling out to temp files.  That wouldn't be WAL-logged
either, but depending on your tablespace setup it might result in I/O on
some other disk than the table proper.