Re: [HACKERS] No parameter values checking while creating Altersubscription...Connection - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] No parameter values checking while creating Altersubscription...Connection
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 25/05/17 23:18, Andres Freund wrote:

>>> CREATE SUBSCRIPTION tries to connect to publisher to create
>>> replication slot or to get table list for table synchronization, not
>>> to check the connection parameter value. So if you specify connect =
>>> false then CREATE SUBSCRIPTION doesn't try to connect.
>>
>> We don't make a connection attempt as part of ALTER SUBSCRIPTION.  I
>> guess we could just connect and disconnect to check that it works.
>
> I think during reconfigurations it's quite useful to be able to do so
> even if the other hosts aren't reachable that second.

Yes, it's intended behavior for this very reason, we want ability to
(re)configure downstream without any existing upstream. It's also reason
why we have the WITH (connect = false) in CREATE SUBSCRIPTION. I don't
see a nice way how to do something similar (ie make it optional) for
ALTER though.

Services