Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Proposal for Updating CRC32C with AVX-512 Algorithm.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for the new patches.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2024 at 03:14:32PM +0000, Amonson, Paul D wrote:
> I reran all the basic tests again to make sure that the performance
> numbers were within the margin of error when compared to my original
> finding. This step showed similar numbers (see origin post) around 1.45X
> on average. I also made sure that if compiled with the AVX-512 features
> and ran on HW without these features the Postgres server still worked
> without throwing illegal instruction exceptions.

Upthread [0], Andres suggested dispatching to a different implementation
for compile-time-known small lengths.  Have you looked into that?  In your
original post, you noted a 14% regression for records smaller than 256
bytes, which is not an uncommon case for Postgres.  IMO we should try to
mitigate that as much as possible.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/20240612201135.kk77tiqcux77lgev%40awork3.anarazel.de

--
nathan