Re: Wrong note in the information schema section? - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Daniel Westermann (DWE)
Subject Re: Wrong note in the information schema section?
Date
List pgsql-docs

On Monday, August 30, 2021, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
On Monday, August 30, 2021, Daniel Westermann (DWE) <daniel.westermann@dbi-services.com> wrote:

>>>Practically speaking there must be some level of scope where a duplicate name error can occur.  All the docs say is
thatthe schema >>>scope is not it.  You've demonstrated that it is the table scope where duplication of names is
detected.

>>Thanks, David. The sentence above is still misleading, at least according to my understanding.

>Create a second table and add a constraint of the same name to it.

>And your error is actually because the name of the unique index backing the constraint is a problem, not the name of
theconstraint >itself.  Try naming a check constraint.

Thanks, now it makes sense:

postgres=# create table t1 ( a int );
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# create table t2 ( a int );
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# alter table t1 add constraint chk1 check ( a > 1 );
ALTER TABLE
postgres=# alter table t2 add constraint chk1 check ( a > 1 );

Regards
Daniel