Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Add pg_walinspect function with block info columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 12:13:56PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> How about something like the attached? It adds the per-record columns
> to pg_get_wal_block_info() avoiding "possibly expensive" joins with
> pg_get_wal_records_info().
>
> With this, pg_get_wal_records_info() too will be useful for users
> scanning WAL at record level. That is to say that we can retain both
> pg_get_wal_records_info() and pg_get_wal_block_info().

FWIW, I am not convinced that there is any need to bloat more the
attributes of these functions, as filters for records could basically
touch all the fields returned by pg_get_wal_records_info().  What
about adding an example in the docs with the LATERAL query I mentioned
previously?
--
Michael

Attachment