Re: Tracking last scan time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Tracking last scan time
Date
Re: Tracking last scan time
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 04:01:21PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 at 15:18, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 10:55:09AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>     > Often it is beneficial to review one's schema with a view to removing
>     > (and sometimes tables) that are no longer required. It's very difficult
>     > understand when that is the case by looking at the number of scans of a
>     > relation as, for example, an index may be used infrequently but may be
>     critical
>     > in those times when it is used.
>     >
>     > The attached patch against HEAD adds optional tracking of the last scan
>     time
>     > for relations. It updates pg_stat_*_tables with new last_seq_scan and
>     > last_idx_scan columns, and pg_stat_*_indexes with a last_idx_scan column
>     > help with this.
>
>     Would it be simpler to allow the sequential and index scan columns to be
>     cleared so you can look later to see if it is non-zero?  Should we allow
>
> I don't think so, because then stat values wouldn't necessarily correlate with
> each other, and you wouldn't know when any of them were last reset unless we
> started tracking each individual reset. At least now you can see when they were
> all reset, and you know they were reset at the same time.

Yeah, true.  I was more asking if these two columns are in some way
special or if people would want a more general solution, and if so, is
that something we want in core Postgres.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson