Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 27, 2022 at 04:03:02PM +0200, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a stray "DETAILS?" marker while going through the release
> notes for 15. Is that subsection still under construction or review?
>
> >     <listitem>
> >      <para>
> >       Record and check the collation of each <link
> >       linkend="sql-createdatabase">database</link> (Peter Eisentraut)
> > [...]
> >      to match the operating system collation version.  DETAILS?
> >      </para>
> >     </listitem>

Good question --- the full text is:

     <listitem>
      <para>
       Record and check the collation of each <link
       linkend="sql-createdatabase">database</link> (Peter Eisentraut)
      </para>

      <para>
       This is designed to detect collation
       mismatches to avoid data corruption.  Function
       <function>pg_database_collation_actual_version()</function>
       reports the underlying operating system collation version, and
       <command>ALTER DATABASE ...  REFRESH</command> sets the database
       to match the operating system collation version.  DETAILS?
      </para>
     </listitem>

I just can't figure out what the user needs to understand about this,
and I understand very little of it.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson