Re: Fix primary crash continually with invalid checkpoint after promote - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Fix primary crash continually with invalid checkpoint after promote
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 11:24:11AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> Zhao Rui's proposal is retension of WAL files according to (the wrong
> content of) control file.
>
> Aside from the fact that it may let slots be invalidated ealier, It's
> not great that an acutally performed restartpoint is forgotten, which
> may cause the next crash recovery starts from an already performed
> checkpoint.

Yeah, I was analyzing this problem and took a look at what's proposed
here, and I agree that what is proposed on this thread would just do
some unnecessary work if we find ourselves in a situation where we
we need to replay from a point earlier than necessary, aka the
checkpoint that should have been already finished.
--
Michael

Attachment