Re: pgsql: Remove command checks in tests of pg_basebackup and pg_receivewa - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove command checks in tests of pg_basebackup and pg_receivewa
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 04:52:54PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> This appears to have been misconceived, at least in the case of MSVC
> builds, as I have just discovered. It is entirely possible to have the
> lz4 libraries installed and build with them but not have the .exe, and
> unlike the configure case the MSVC build system doesn't conduct any test
> for it, resulting in a nasty looking TAP test failure. I assume similar
> failures are possible with zstd and maybe gzip.

Okay, we could change the code of vcregress.pl so as the different ENV
commands (tar, zstd, lz4 or gzip) are assigned as follows for the sake
of the tests:
- If a ENV value is available, trust the environment/user and rely on
it.
- If a ENV value is not available, try to look for it in the
environment by launching a simple $command --version (-version should
be fine across all the commands currently in need of coverage?).
-- On failure, set ENV{command} to an empty string.
-- On success, set ENV{command} = "$command"

Does something like this look better to you?
--
Michael

Attachment