Re: pgsql: Remove command checks in tests of pg_basebackup and pg_receivewa - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove command checks in tests of pg_basebackup and pg_receivewa
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 2022-02-14 Mo 23:41, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Remove command checks in tests of pg_basebackup and pg_receivewal
>
> The TAP tests of those commands have been checking if commands of "gzip"
> and "lz4" existed by launching them with an extra --version.  Based on
> the buildfarm, this is not required for "gzip" as the command always
> exists.  Since 1d084fb, "lz4" has a ./configure check doing the same
> thing.
>
> Reported-by: Andres Freund
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20220212220643.ozuvq2k4cjkcnr2v@alap3.anarazel.de
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/Ygm2ADakjlqGc2Ro@paquier.xyz

This appears to have been misconceived, at least in the case of MSVC
builds, as I have just discovered. It is entirely possible to have the
lz4 libraries installed and build with them but not have the .exe, and
unlike the configure case the MSVC build system doesn't conduct any test
for it, resulting in a nasty looking TAP test failure. I assume similar
failures are possible with zstd and maybe gzip.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan