Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Atomic rename feature for Windows.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 11:44:31AM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> Generally I think supporting older systems that do funny things is
> helpful in avoiding problems that either 1) Can happen on newer
> systems but rarely 2) Can happen on other systems that people are
> using but we don't know about and aren't testing and 3) Can happen on
> future systems or future compilers and we might not even find out
> about.

Agreed.  I think that things can be usually helpful.  Now, I am not
really convinced that there is a strong need in running a VAX if you
are worrying about timing issues so this is a matter of balance.  You
could get down to the same level of coverage with something as cheap
as a Raspberry PI or such.  There are also configure switches that
emulate rather non-common behaviors, like --disable-spinlocks or
--disable-atomics that I'd rather never see gone.
--
Michael

Attachment