Re: Allow declaration after statement and reformat code to use it - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Allow declaration after statement and reformat code to use it
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 10:34:04AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> writes:
>> C needs readability, not fewer lines.
>> Aside from horrible code, it doesn't improve 0.1% on anything.
>> I think it's a bad idea and I'm strongly against it.
>
> Same here.  We have thirty-ish years worth of coding habits developed
> around the existing C90-based layout rules.  I really doubt that a
> quasi-mechanical transformation is going to result in better code style.
> What it certainly will do, though, is create a pile of hazards for
> back-patching.

The back-patching hazard this could create is an argument enough to
avoid any of that IMO if done only on HEAD.  When a bug is involved,
up to 7 branches may require a fix.  That's already a lot of work.
--
Michael

Attachment