Re: Allow declaration after statement and reformat code to use it - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Allow declaration after statement and reformat code to use it
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> writes:
> Em qui., 19 de ago. de 2021 às 08:50, Jelte Fennema <
> Jelte.Fennema@microsoft.com> escreveu:
>> ## Why would we want this?
>> 1. It removes 23328 lines of code that don't have any impact on how the
>> code behaves [1]. This is roughly 2.7% of all the lines of code in the
>> codebase.

> C needs readability, not fewer lines.
> Aside from horrible code, it doesn't improve 0.1% on anything.
> I think it's a bad idea and I'm strongly against it.

Same here.  We have thirty-ish years worth of coding habits developed
around the existing C90-based layout rules.  I really doubt that a
quasi-mechanical transformation is going to result in better code style.
What it certainly will do, though, is create a pile of hazards for
back-patching.