Re: SHA-1 FIPS - compliance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: SHA-1 FIPS - compliance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 08, 2021 at 09:58:35AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jul  8, 2021 at 02:33:33PM +0200, Filip Janus wrote:
>> I am a new maintainer of PostgreSQL in Fedora and RHEL. Currently, I am solving
>> usage SHA-1  for key-derivation in pgcrypto (the s2k-digest-algo).  In the
>> documentation, I have found that there are options SHA-1 or MD5. Unfortunately,
>> none of these algorithms are FIPS compliant. So I would like to ask if exists a
>> possibility to add or enable support for some type of stronger hash algorithm?

Patches and improvements are always welcome.

> I don't know of any official way to disable them, but I do know that PG
> 14 will use a different set of algorithms that are more FIPS-compliant
> because we rely more on the OpenSSL for its implementation (or
> blockage).

The set of algorithms supported for pgcrypto does not change.  The
only thing that does change is that, by going through the EVP layer
instead of the low-level cryptohash APIs, OpenSSL will not do a blind
exit() when using algos that are not FIPS compliant (MD5 and SHA-1)
when linking to OpenSSL 1.0.2 if FIPS is enabled at system or process
level.
--
Michael

Attachment