Re: SQL-standard function body - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: SQL-standard function body
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 07, 2021 at 11:35:14PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2021-04-08 01:41:40 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> writes:
>> FWIW, I think the long-term drift of things is definitely that
>> we want to have the querystring available everywhere.  Code like
>> executor_errposition is from an earlier era before we were trying
>> to enforce that.  In particular, if the querystring is available in
>> the leader and not the workers, then you will get different error
>> reporting behavior in parallel query than non-parallel query, which
>> is surely a bad thing.
>
> Yea, I think it's a sensible direction - but I think we should put the
> line in the sand earlier on / higher up than ExecInitParallelPlan().

Indeed, I agree that enforcing the availability of querystring
everywhere sounds like a sensible thing to do in terms of consistency,
and that's my impression when I scanned the parallel execution code,
and I don't really get why SQL function bodies should not bind by this
rule.  Would people object if I add an open item to track that?
--
Michael

Attachment