Re: Checksum errors in pg_stat_database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Checksum errors in pg_stat_database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 04:51:49PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> Why were you thinking of tracking it separately from PgStat_StatTabEntry?

We only know the relfilenode when loading the page on a checksum
failure, not its parent relation, and there are things like physical
base backups where we would not know them anyway because we may not be
connected to a database.  Or perhaps it would be possible to link
table entries with their relfilenodes using some tweaks in the stat
APIs?  I am sure that you know the business in this area better than I
do currently :)

> I think there's a good argument for starting to track some stats based on the
> relfilenode, rather the oid, because it'd allow us to track e.g. the number of
> writes for a relation too (we don't have the oid when writing out
> buffers). But that's a relatively large change...

Yeah.  I was thinking among the lines of sync requests and sync
failures, as well.
--
Michael

Attachment