Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes
Date
Re: New docs chapter on Transaction Management and related changes  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 05:46:55PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 3:51 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Attached is the merged patch from all the great comments I received.  I
> > have also rebuilt the docs with the updated patch:
> >
> >         https://momjian.us/tmp/pgsql/
> >

> +   <command>RELEASE SAVEPOINT</command> also subcommits and destroys
> +   all savepoints that were established after the named savepoint was
> +   established. This means that any subtransactions of the named savepoint
> +   will also be subcommitted and destroyed.
>
> Wonder if we should be more explicit that data changes are preserved,
> not destroyed... something like:
> "This means that any changes within subtransactions of the named
> savepoint will be subcommitted and those subtransactions will be
> destroyed."

Good point.  I reread the section and there was just too much confusion
over subtransactions, partly because the behavior just doesn't map
easily to subtransaction.  I therefore merged all three paragraphs into
one and tried to make the text saner;  release_savepoint.sgml diff
attached, URL content updated.

  Indecision is a decision.  Inaction is an action.  Mark Batterson

Attachment