Re: ip of the user doing an insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randolf Richardson
Subject Re: ip of the user doing an insert
Date
List pgsql-general
[sNip]
>> If this isn't a feature now, hopefully it will be in the future, but I
>> assume it will have to return the address as a string since IPv4 and
>> IPv6 are formatted differently.
>
> Why not use the inet type, which can support both formats?

        I probably should have rambled on a little bit there -- in summary I
was thinking of facilitating other protocols as well, such as IPX/SPX, and
who-knows-what-else gets invented in the future.

        At least if a generic string type is used instead, then no assumptions
are being made which require research (and Tom already pointed out that local
Unix connections will probably be an issue with the "inet" type), thus less
work is required now to support whatever comes along in the future (or that
has been missed in this conversation).

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.