Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 04:25:56PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 9:29 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps it's worth asking whom the advice applies to then.  You suggest
>> it's mostly developers.  I for one am still grumpy that in 9.5 we
>> removed the variant of the hint that suggested "postgres -D ..." instead
>> of pg_ctl.  I used to copy and paste that a lot.  The argument back then
>> was that the hint should target end users, not developers.  I doubt that
>> under the current circumstances, running pg_ctl start from the console
>> is really appropriate advice for a majority of users.  (For one thing,
>> systemd will kill it when you log out.)  I don't know what better advice
>
> I guess one option could be to just remove it, unconditionally. And
> assume that any users who is running it manually read that in docs
> somewhere that tells them what to do next, and that any user who's
> running it under a wrapper will have the wrapper set it up?

Hmm.  I don't think that users running manually initdb will read the
documentation if we don't show directly a reference to them.  FWIW, I
agree with Peter that it would have been nice to keep around the 9.5
hint, and I would wish that the last one remains around.  I agree,
however, that there is value in having a switch that suppresses them.

>> would be, though.  Maybe we need to add some kind of text adventure game
>> into initdb.
>
> I do like this idea though...

+1.
--