Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade
Date
Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 9:29 AM Peter Eisentraut

> On 2020-11-24 13:32, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > I think it boils down to that today the output from initdb is entirely
> > geared towards people running initdb directly and starting their
> > server manually, and very few people outside the actual PostgreSQL
> > developers ever do that. But there are still a lot of people who run
> > initdb through their wrapper manually (for redhat you have to do that,
> > for debian you only have to do it if you're creating a secondary
> > cluster but that still a pretty common operation).
>
> Perhaps it's worth asking whom the advice applies to then.  You suggest
> it's mostly developers.  I for one am still grumpy that in 9.5 we
> removed the variant of the hint that suggested "postgres -D ..." instead
> of pg_ctl.  I used to copy and paste that a lot.  The argument back then
> was that the hint should target end users, not developers.  I doubt that
> under the current circumstances, running pg_ctl start from the console
> is really appropriate advice for a majority of users.  (For one thing,
> systemd will kill it when you log out.)  I don't know what better advice

I guess one option could be to just remove it, unconditionally. And
assume that any users who is running it manually read that in docs
somewhere that tells them what to do next, and that any user who's
running it under a wrapper will have the wrapper set it up?

> would be, though.  Maybe we need to add some kind of text adventure game
> into initdb.

I do like this idea though...

--
 Magnus Hagander