Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.
Date
Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
På onsdag 19. oktober 2016 kl. 18:29:31, skrev Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 04:51:54PM +0200, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>     > 2. Being able to move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace
>     >    *without* turning on system_table_mods. This is important for
>     >    people storing LOTS of large-objects on separate
>     >    disks (non-SSD) and hence in a different tablespace.
>     > Anyone willing to discuss this?
>     >
>     This was proposed a few years ago but no one cared to draft a patch.
>

> So that why I'm re-raising the issue:-)
> Having "everything in the database" adds lots of benefits, conceptually
> (follows tx-semantics, consistent backups etc.), however it's currently not so
> easy in practice.

Yeah, rereading that old thread was interesting, and unfortunate that no
one mentioned the system catalog change would break pg_upgrade, though
pg_upgrade was not popular at the time that thread was started.

I think an open question is why you would not want to move the other
system tables at the same time you move pg_largeobject.

The thing is that I don't understand what the problem really is. I have no problem moving the other system-tables as well if that fixes the problem.
I tried moving pg_largeobject back to the same tablespace as the database but that too gave the error.

Are you saying that if I move all system-tables to the tablespace I moved pg_largeobject to it'll work? If so, is there a convenient way to move all system-tables to a tablespace?

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS